Wisdom Teeth Removal in Warrnambool
Many of us tend to be unaware of wisdom teeth until they erupt through the gums at the back of the mouth between the ages of 18 and 21. These wisdom teeth can often cause problems such as impaction, crowding and shifting of front teeth. In such cases, you may need wisdom tooth removal to avoid further pain, infections and damage to surrounding teeth.
At Warrnambool Smile Dental, wisdom teeth removal is a routine procedure performed by our skilled dentists with precision and care. You can rest assured that our team is well-experienced and committed to providing you with the best treatment and recovery solutions.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are the last set of molars to erupt. Most people have four wisdom teeth (two on the upper and lower jaws) located at the back of the mouth. However, not everyone has wisdom teeth. Some may get all 4, while others may get fewer or none.
While some have enough space in the jawbone to accommodate these wisdom teeth, others may not be able to because of factors such as reduced human jaw size caused by changes in our diet. When there’s not enough room for your wisdom teeth to erupt correctly, they may get impacted and grow out at an angle or emerge partially from the gum line. An impacted wisdom tooth can cause pain and other dental problems, such as infection and inflammation of the gums.
Problems With Impacted
Impacted wisdom teeth often cause many concerns, including:
Is Age A Factor For Wisdom Teeth?
Yes, age is definitely a factor when it comes to wisdom teeth. which typically start to erupt when individuals are older and between 17 and 25 years. However, this age range is not definitive, as some people may experience wisdom teeth eruption earlier or later than this time frame.
The age at which wisdom teeth erupt can vary based on genetics, ethnicity, and individual development. Additionally, some people may not develop wisdom teeth at all. While removing wisdom teeth is not always necessary, our dentists will monitor the growth and positioning of wisdom teeth during regular dental check-ups and recommend removal if there’s a risk of complications.
Wisdom Teeth Removal in Warrnambool Smile Dental
Most dentists in Warrnambool will refer patients to a specialist to get their wisdom teeth removed under a general anaesthetic because they do not have the training and expertise to conduct safe removal themselves. However, general anaesthetics add additional costs, such as private hospital and anaesthetists fee, which are often more than the price of the removal procedure itself.
If you’re in Warrnambool and require wisdom teeth removal, you’re in good hands at our dental clinic. Our skilled dental professionals are highly experienced in providing safe and comfortable wisdom teeth extraction without any additional costs.
Preparing For Your Wisdom Teeth Removal
Here are some things you can do to prepare and make the process as smooth as possible:
- Plan for your recovery by stocking up on soft foods like yogurt, mashed potatoes, soups and ice cream
- Communicate with our dentists if you have any concerns and they will be happy to answer your questions and provide you with the necessary information. After all, the better informed you are, the more comfortable you will be during the procedure.
- Try to arrange some time off from work or school for the first couple of days post-extraction. Giving yourself time to rest is one of the best ways to speed up recovery after wisdom tooth extraction.
- Arrange transport on the day of the surgery by having someone on standby to drive you home. Local anaesthesia administered during the procedure can make you unfit to drive.
- Ease pre-surgery jitters and dental anxiety by arriving early. It will give you time to complete any paperwork and relax for a few moments before the procedure.
- Expect some swelling post-extraction, which is natural. Keep a couple of ice packs in the freezer so they’re ready when you need them. It can help with the swelling and provide some relief.
- Stay hydrated and avoid using straws for the first few days. You need to be gentle on the healing site to reduce the risk of dislodging any blood clots. If the blood clot over the extraction site gets dislodged, it can lead to a painful condition called dry socket.
Our Wisdom Teeth Removal Treatment Process
At Warrnambool Smile Dental, Wisdom Teeth Removal is performed by our highly skilled and trained dentists backed by several years of experience. The process is straightforward and typically involves the following steps:
Wisdom Tooth Removal Aftercare
Following a wisdom tooth removal, it’s crucial to follow these aftercare guidelines for a smooth recovery:
- Rest for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid any strenuous activities that could dislodge blood clots.
- Bite down gently on the provided gauze pads to control bleeding.
- Apply an ice pack to your cheek on and off to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Stick to soft, cool food such as mashed potatoes, soups and yoghurt for the first few days, as hard foods could irritate the surgical site.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption for at least 1-2 weeks. They can increase the risk of infection and prolong recovery.
- Avoid rinsing your mouth or spitting out at least for 12 hours post-extraction. You can rinse your mouth gently with warm salt water after 24 hours to wash food particles away from the extraction site but make sure to avoid swishing and spitting it out.
- Be careful when brushing your teeth in the days following extraction.
- Avoid using straws as the sucking motion can disrupt healing.
- Avoid touching the area with your tongue or finger.
- Manage your pain by taking pain medication as prescribed by our dentist. Make sure you follow the instructions and avoid taking Aspirin, as it can stop your blood from clotting or encourage bleeding.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Cost in Warrnambool
The cost of Wisdom Tooth Removal can vary depending on factors such as the complexity of the extraction the number of teeth being removed, and the type of sedation.
It is best to consult with one of our experienced dentists to assess your unique condition and get an accurate estimate of the cost. At Warrnambool Smile Dental, we also offer flexible payment plans to ensure that you get the necessary dental care you need without compromise. If you’ve been worried about dental treatment costs, there’s no need to worry anymore. Contact our friendly team for more information and to learn about your eligibility for these flexible payment plans.
Extensive Wisdom Teeth Removal Experience
At Warrnambool Smile Dental, Dr Joseph has extensive training and experience in safely removing impacted wisdom teeth under local anaesthetic ensuring that you feel no pain during the procedure. However, we also provide the option of removal under general anaesthetic if the patient prefers this at the St John of God Hospital in Warrnambool.
At Warrnambool Smile Dental, Dr Joseph has performed many wisdom teeth extractions on patients from all over Warrnambool and the Southwest region. If you are experiencing Wisdom tooth pain or have any concerns, book a consultation with us so that we can address them right away!