Is In-Chair Teeth Whitening Safe?
Imagine stepping out of the dentist’s chair with a bright, dazzling smile. Teeth whitening treatments are a great way to whiten your smile by removing stains and discolouration!
However, the allure of a whiter, brighter smile can be overshadowed by safety concerns but there’s nothing to worry about if an experienced and qualified dental professional performs teeth whitening. Whether you have an event coming up or you’re tired of feeling insecure about the shade of your teeth, in-chair teeth whitening is the best solution for a whiter set of teeth.
What Is In-Chair Teeth Whitening?
In-chair teeth whitening is a professional whitening procedure performed by your dentist. Unlike generic, over-the-counter whitening treatments, in-chair whitening uses a higher hydrogen or carbamide peroxide concentration. These whitening agents effectively erase surface stains and break down pigments that cause discolouration, giving you visibly whiter teeth.
Carried out under the expertise of dental professionals, in-chair teeth whitening is the safest way to whiten your teeth. When you visit us for a consultation, we will first assess your oral health and determine if it is safe for you to undergo whitening treatment. If you have any dental issues, we will tackle them head-on before starting whitening treatment.
With over-the-counter whitening treatments, however, you will not get the same level of personalised care. At the same time, they cannot match the safety, reliability and effectiveness of professional teeth whitening. For one, they contain very small amounts of whitening agents, making them less effective than professional teeth whitening. Moreover, since whitening trays in store-bought whitening kits are not custom-made, they can expose your gums to bleach, causing adverse reactions and sensitivity.
For these reasons, it’s always best to consult one of our dentists to whiten your teeth.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Performed by our qualified dental professionals, in-chair whitening treatments are safe, reliable and effective.
- Treatment is tailored to your individual needs and preferences.
- In-chair teeth whitening can remove even the most stubborn stains and discolouration, leaving you with a brighter, whiter smile.
- Results last for more extended periods compared to store-bought whitening treatments.
- Boosts self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Our dentists perform a comprehensive assessment of your mouth before whitening treatment to identify and address any dental issues.
- A single visit to our clinic can leave you with visibly whiter teeth.
- Our in-chair whitening treatments are performed to minimise sensitivity issues.
- Professional whitening treatment is quick and non-invasive.
How Does In-Chair Whitening Work?
At Warrnambool Smile Dental, our in-chair teeth whitening process begins with a comprehensive dental assessment. We will assess your mouth for dental issues like gum disease, tooth decay, or cracks and address these issues first before beginning treatment to avoid tooth irritation and discomfort.
Professional Teeth Cleaning
If you are deemed eligible, we will prep your teeth with a professional cleaning. It will remove any plaque and tartar build-ups on your teeth, paving the way for the whitening treatment to work more effectively.
Our dentist will then take photos of your teeth to measure their colour on the shade guide.
Preparation for Gel Application
Using a cheek retractor, we will expose the teeth that are visible when smiling. After that, we will prepare your mouth by painting a hardening resin or liquid rubber onto your gum tissue. This will protect your gums from irritation the bleaching gel may cause.
Application of Whitening Gel
The bleaching gel containing hydrogen peroxide will be applied to your teeth by one of our experienced dentists. We will leave it on your teeth for 15-30 minutes before washing it off and applying a new layer of gel. This will be left on your teeth for another 30 minutes.
As the bleaching process unfolds, we will use an intense light to activate the gel. Our dentist will check the results between each application to determine if more bleach is required. The entire process will be completed in 1-2 hours, and you’ll be able to see visibly whiter teeth.
Am I a Suitable Candidate for In-Chair Teeth Whitening?
While teeth whitening is generally suitable for most people, a consultation with one of our dentists can help determine if it’s safe for you. You may not be eligible if you:
- Have overly sensitive teeth – While a little post-whitening sensitivity is manageable and wears off, we may recommend against whitening if your teeth are extremely sensitive.
- Have severe discolouration – Whitening may not provide effective results if you have severely discoloured teeth. In such cases, we may recommend other cosmetic treatments, such as veneers or dental crowns.
- Are a smoker – Smoking can cause tooth discolouration and reduce the longevity of your results.
- Have dental restorations – Since teeth whitening treatments don’t work on dental restorations, we recommend whitening your teeth before getting restorations.
How Long Does Professional Teeth Whitening Last?
Now that you’ve got brighter, whiter teeth, it’s time to make them last. While results from in-chair teeth whitening can last for several months to a year, it all depends on your lifestyle habits and how you care for your teeth. Here are some tips to maintain results for longer:
- Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day and flossing once daily.
- Avoid highly-pigmented foods and drinks such as berries, beetroot, red wine, coffee, etc.
- Limit the consumption of acidic foods and beverages like carbonated drinks as they can weaken your enamel, making it easier for stains to penetrate your teeth.
- Use a straw when drinking staining beverages to avoid contact with your teeth.
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol.
- Visit us for follow-up whitening appointments to keep your smile bright and results consistent.
- Don’t skip your regular dental check-ups and cleaning. Visit us every six months to keep your smile bright.
Professional teeth whitening performed by our experienced dental professionals at Warrnambool Smile Dental using premium materials is guaranteed to be safe on your teeth and gums while providing the best results.
Want to whiten your teeth? Schedule your teeth whitening appointment and achieve a dazzling smile.